Saturday, April 18, 2009


"OH MY GOD!!!! OHMYGODOHMYGOD!!" Patrick yelled, his arms flailing vigorously

"What is it?!" My stomach knotted as I turned immediately to face him. 

He raised his finger and pointed towards the water. "Look!!!" His eyes were wide as he stared in bewilderment. "Oh my goodness!!" 


Instantly, my eyes darted across the boat towards the direction his finger was pointing to. Blue skies, the soft creases that surfaced the river, other people successfully rowing their boats, birds gliding gently in circles. 


"What?? What?!" I demanded, my eyes still searching frantically. 



"Oh my goodness!! Look! Look at that... that.. THING!!" He cried. "It's so... HUGE!!!"


I stared at him in disbelief. "Patrick. That's a... duck"


"Nooooo! Look! It's so huge!! Are you sure it's a duck?"


"Patrick... It's a duck." 


"Are you sure?? Look! Look! Oh my gosh it just went upside down!" He gasped as his hands flew towards his mouth.  "Oh my gosh, did you see that? Did you see that?" 


"Dude..." Kareen said steadily. "How'd you think they eat?" 


"But oh my gooooooosh that's so cool! It went upside down!" He exclaimed. 



I diverted my attention back towards the oar I was struggling with. Why did the other rowers make it look so... easy? Kareen and I were making the boat twirl around in circles. Jared was lying comfortably at the rear end of the boat, his eyes subtly surveying the surroundings for hot chicks. (Don't need to pretend la). Patrick was sitting across Kareen and I, guiding us to steer our boat along a straight path.


"Oh no! We're about to crash into that boat! Turn left!! LEFT!" Patrick commanded


Left? Does that mean I row faster? Eh no, slower. Wait. We're facing the opposite direction so his left or my left?


"LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEFT!! NOW NOW NOW!!!" 


Omg ok now I'm panicking! I row as quickly as I can, my heart was racing and my arms worked with full force. Why did we refuse to wear the ugly lifejackets?! I stole a quick glance behind my shoulders and saw that our boat was still heading towards the other boat! 

It all seemed as if it were happening in slow motion. 

As we inched closer and closer towards the other boat, Kareen took her hand out and pushed the boat away. She saved us. From crashing. With her bare hands. 



That was when I realized our boat was actually moving that slowly. 


But it's okay... Rowing in the park was supposed to be relaxing. 


"Oh my goodness, look at that thing!! It's got a blue beak!!"


It's supposed to be quiet... and peaceful.. and calm.. and undisturbed.. and ... 


"Are you sure it's a duck??? Is it really a duck?!?!"
















No comments: